Thursday, February 21, 2008

Meme(ories)

Is there a statute of limitations on memes? No? Should there be? Yes? Well, Linda at Pataphysical Science tagged me with this meme back in July. I half wrote an entry at that point, but I struggled to come up with eight media related items to fill the list and never finished. As I was cleaning up my computer, I stumbled across this file and thought I’d give it a second shot.

1. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
2. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to tag eight people and list their names.

I once drove to another state just to see a movie.
What? One of my friends and I went to go see a movie projected digitally. The closest theater was in Maryland. We piled into the car for the four-hour trip, caught the film, then piled back into the car for the drive home. We hit 88 miles per hour on the drive home while listening to the Back to the Future theme. It was awesome.

I saw Attack of the Clones twice in the same theater on the same day.
I caught the 12:01 show with one set of friends and a 11ish p.m. show with another set. One of us got interviewed for local radio as we were walking into the building for the second show.

I watch A Christmas Story at least twice every year but have never seen It’s a Wonderful Life.
It’s not entirely my fault. No one in my immediate family has seen it either. We even bought it on DVD for Christmas 2006, but it’s still sitting in the drawer unopened.

I used to watch professional wrestling without irony.
It was high school. It was ridiculous, and I liked it. I vaguely remember writing a defense of it for the entertainment section of my high school newspaper. Mick Foley’s autobiography still sits in the non-fiction section of my bookshelves.

I once listened to the theme to Ghostbusters for the entire eight-hour car ride to my grandmother’s house.
I’ve always been a little skeptical about whether or not this actually occurred, but my parents swear to it.

Calvin and Hobbes helped me get into college.
Ok. That might be a stretch, but I did write one of my application essays about their final strip. I still remember the final strip, but my eloquence about it has been lost to the ages.

I nearly forgot to show up for a play I was performing in.
My friend’s older brother, who was also in middle school at the time, wrote a play about vampires, and convinced someone to let him put in on before school in conjunction with a canned food drive. (I know it sounds made up, but it happened.) I was cast as an understudy, and found out on Friday that I would be performing on Monday morning. After ignoring the fact all weekend, I learned my lines in the car on the way to school.

I impulse buy DVDs.
Most people struggle in the checkout lane; I can’t deal with the DVD section. The past two Christmases I’ve picked up a movie – Marie Antoinette and The French Connection – to be a ‘from me to me gift,’ and have yet to watch either of them.

That’s the list. I debated tagging people since most of the people I think most of those intrepid few, who check in on my blog, have already been tagged. Intentionally double tagging seems slightly less annoying than double dipping, but some of you have new side blogs. Here’s a start. If you’re reading this and feel like playing along drop me a comment. Try doing it on theme, or curse my name and ignore it.

Amanda at The Cheese Stands Alone who to my knowledge hasn’t been tagged
Dante at Crazy from the Heat who has ignored prior requests from others
Raquel at A Glass of Papaya Juice – her movies, music etc. blog that appears to be out to squash Juno – who has already done this nonsense at Electric Warrior.
Linda at Pataphysical Science who neglected to say no tag backs

No comments: